LOWELL, Mass., Oct 31, 2017
Today, on the company’s 40th anniversary, Kronos Incorporated officially opened its new global headquarters, uniting nearly 1,500 Massachusetts-based Kronites under one roof across more than half-a-million square feet at the Cross Point towers in Lowell, Mass.
- Kronos was founded 40 years ago on October 31 by MIT alum Mark Ain on the foundation that there had to be an easier way to record employee time. With a team of engineers, Kronos delivered the industry’s first patented microprocessor-based time clock in 1979, and has since driven four decades of innovation in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Today, led by CEO Aron Ain, Kronos is one of the world’s largest enterprise software companies, generating more than $1 billion in annual revenue with more than 30,000 customers – including half of the Fortune 1000 – using Kronos workforce solutions across more than 100 countries.
- Once publicly traded on NASDAQ, Kronos is now owned by private equity firms Hellman & Freidman, Blackstone, GIC, and JMI Equity. Since Kronos was taken private in 2007, Hellman & Friedman has remained the majority investor as the company continued to grow and expand with a renewed focus on mobile, cloud-based workforce management and human capital management (HCM) solutions.
- In 2016, Kronos signed a 12-year lease at Cross Point, solidifying its commitment to Massachusetts, where the company has been headquartered for its entire 40-year history.
- Kronos executives alongside 40 of the longest-tenured Kronites were joined today by Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito, Secretary of Housing and Economic Development Jay Ash, Senator Eileen Donoghue, Representative David Nangle, Lowell City Manager Kevin Murphy, and many other local elected officials and project partners to celebrate the company’s 40th anniversary and official ribbon cutting of its global headquarters.
- Kronos now occupies 16 floors – including the entire first tower, dubbed the Kronos Tower – in what will total a $68 million renovation of the former home of Wang Laboratories.
- Partnering with award-winning architectural firm Packard Design, Kronos created a high-performance workplace of the future to inspire collaboration and innovation with hundreds of meeting rooms and open scrum spaces; state-of-the-art technology; separate user experience (UX) and hardware labs; a Customer Community center; and an entire 30,000 sq. ft. amenities floor called The Hub, featuring a full-service barista, an IT bar for helpdesk support, an indoor park, library, and gaming area – all overlooking an outdoor Kronos-branded sports court.
- As one of the largest employers in Lowell and the largest tenant of Cross Point, Kronos intends to bring more than 400 new jobs to Mass. over five years as the company continues its aggressive pace of hiring, adding to its workforce of 5,300 Kronites in 70 offices worldwide.
- Relocating the Kronos headquarters from Chelmsford – where it was headquartered since 2000 – to Lowell is the company’s largest in a series of recent and planned office openings and renovations around the world, including Indianapolis; Delhi, India; Portland, Ore.; London/Bracknell, U.K.; Mexico City; Montreal, Canada; and Sydney, Australia.
- The Cross Point grand opening was part of Kronos’ first-ever WorkInspired Week to celebrate its 40th anniversary and capitalize on tremendous Kronite pride around the world. Each day of the week is dedicated to a different facet of the Kronos award-winning culture of caring, including a Halloween trick-o-treat event for children; a family open house; a GiveInspired volunteer day; a LiveInspired wellness day; and a day dedicated to caring for customers.
- Charlie Baker, governor of Massachusetts
“For four decades, Kronos has been a part of the Commonwealth’s leading innovation economy, employing thousands of Massachusetts residents, investing in the talent of our next generation, and helping businesses drive growth through greater productivity. We congratulate the Kronos team on their expansion and look forward to their continued success and impact in Lowell, the Merrimack Valley, and the global economy.”
- Karyn Polito, lieutenant governor of Massachusetts
“It is an honor to join Kronos for the grand opening of their new global headquarters, and celebrate the significant impact this investment will have on the City of Lowell and job creation throughout the region. From MIT to Brighton to Chelmsford, and now Lowell, we are proud to see a home-grown firm like Kronos expanding their roots and setting an example for other technology firms looking to call all parts of Massachusetts home.”
- Eileen Donoghue, senator, D-Lowell
“Kronos has transformed the Wang Towers into a sparkling new home of technologically-infused job growth. The decision by Kronos not only to remain in Massachusetts, not just to stay in the Merrimack Valley, but to come to Lowell will pay off for both Kronos and Lowell for generations to come.”
- Aron Ain, chief executive officer, Kronos
“Today is a day all 5,300 Kronites around the world should be proud of. Our new home stands as a symbol of Kronite dedication, ingenuity, innovation, and caring for our customers. Without our terrific team members, none of this is possible. On our 40th anniversary, we officially open the doors to a global headquarters befitting of the Kronos culture, the company we’ve become, and the inspiring people who call Kronos home.”
- Mark Ain, founder, Kronos
“This amazing company has far surpassed our initial vision. It’s simply remarkable to think about how far we’ve come, from a humble start-up born out of a desire to solve a time-keeping problem with technology to a global software powerhouse growing every year. Thanks to our incredible Kronites, customers, and partners for making Kronos so special.”
- View a timeline of Kronos’ 40-year history of innovation.
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Take a look at the lighter side of the workforce in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
- Follow The Workforce Institute at Kronos for insight, research, blogs, and podcasts on how organizations can manage today’s modern workforce to drive engagement and performance.
- Learn about the Kronos WorkInspired culture and check out Kronos job openings.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is a leading provider of workforce management and human capital management cloud solutions. Kronos industry-centric workforce applications are purpose-built for businesses, healthcare providers, educational institutions, and government agencies of all sizes. Tens of thousands of organizations — including half of the Fortune 1000® — and more than 40 million people in over 100 countries use Kronos every day. Visit www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works.
© 2017 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. See a complete list of Kronos trademarks. All other trademarks, if any, are property of their respective owners.