LOWELL, Mass. ,
Kronos Incorporated today announced financial results, company advancements, and customer successes for Fiscal 2018. Kronos revenue for the year was $1.4 billion. Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) was $383 million1.
“Kronos just closed the best quarter in the best year of the company’s 41-year history. Kronites worldwide should be extremely proud,” said Aron Ain, Kronos chief executive officer. “Our internal revolutionary start-up tasked years ago with ‘putting ourselves out of business’ has completely changed the face of workforce management with Workforce Dimensions. Market adoption of Workforce Dimensions far exceeded even our most optimistic expectations in less than a year of availability. Simultaneously, investments in and success of our fast-growing HCM, HR, and payroll offerings opened the door to new customer opportunities where Kronite vertical expertise is a true differentiator. Our future as a SaaS organization truly has unlimited potential for our employees, our partners, and, of course, our customers around the globe.”
Workforce Dimensions Growth Soars Beyond Expectations, Further Accelerating SaaS Success
New and longtime customers flocked to Workforce Dimensions, the groundbreaking workforce management solution from Kronos, which catapulted overall subscription revenue growth to 30 percent as the fastest-growing part of the business.
- More than 1 million hourly and salaried employee licenses have been ordered for Workforce Dimensions.
- Workforce Dimensions orders in the fourth quarter alone doubled total customer orders in the first three quarters of the fiscal year combined, surpassing overall expectations by 50 percent.
- Three out of every four Workforce Dimensions deals came from existing Kronos customers migrating to realize all the benefits of the future-ready solution today.
- Significant $1 million+ Workforce Dimensions deals in the quarter included: one of the largest cancer treatment and research centers in the world; the world’s largest commercial bakery manufacturer with operations in more than 20 countries; a Canadian healthcare system with 40,000+ employees; a U.S. grocery store operator with 200+ stores and 15,000 employees; one of the largest amusement-resort operators in the world; one of the largest natural gas distributors in the U.S.; and a multinational leader in omnichannel commerce technologies and operations.
HCM Business Surges on Continued Workforce Ready Success, Kronos Payroll Growth
Kronos HCM has quickly grown into a significant business, driven primarily by continued Workforce Ready growth and complemented by Workforce Dimensions and Workforce Central customers adding HR applications and payroll services.
- Subscription bookings for Kronos HCM business was up 37 percent over last year.
- A significant number of Workforce Dimensions customers chose to attach Kronos HCM capabilities.
- Kronos saw a record year for new customers choosing Workforce Ready, while the HCM cloud solution continues to scale to meet the needs of larger organizations, with average employee size for new deals increasing by 21 percent.
- It was the most successful year ever for Kronos Payroll, including an accelerating increase in the selection of Kronos Payroll Services to simplify the management of payroll taxes and payments as well as the acquisition of longtime partner Advanced Payroll Systems.
- Significant new HCM deals in the fourth quarter included: one of the largest egg producers in the U.S.; a leading provider of innovative and reliable climate and HVAC solutions; a provider of comprehensive security, training, and fingerprinting services; and the department that oversees food services, contract services, and educational supplies to a large state university.
SaaS Deals Across All Product Suites Combine to Set ARR Bookings Record
Kronos again delivered exceptional SaaS growth, with more than 28,000 organizations worldwide now leveraging a Kronos Cloud solution across Workforce Dimensions, Workforce Ready, and Workforce Central, including nearly all new customers.
- Kronos annualized run-rate business now exceeds $1 billion of annual recurring revenue (ARR) for the first time ever.
- Kronos had another record year converting long-standing, on-premise customers to a SaaS solution, as hundreds of existing Kronos on-premise customers migrated to the Kronos Cloud.
Record Year for Large Deals as Kronos Vertical Industry Teams Surpass Goals Worldwide
Kronos topped last year’s record-setting mark for $1 million+ deals in Fiscal 2018, strengthening its position as the worldwide leader in global enterprise workforce management.
- Kronos had a record year for $1 million+ wins, including many additional new fourth quarter customer deals.
- All key vertical industry sales teams met or exceeded goals for the year, while most saw double-digit growth led by manufacturing (30 percent), services and distribution (29 percent), healthcare (18 percent), and public sector (15 percent).
- Globally, exceptional growth happened in Canada, LATAM, and APAC, as each region exceeded goals – including nearly 20 percent of total Workforce Dimensions deals with international organizations.
Future of Work is Now Driven by Investments in Innovation, Partners, and Customer Success
Kronos invested a record $182 million on R&D in Fiscal 2018 to deliver next-generation enhancements, features, and functionality.
- The revolutionary launch of Workforce Dimensions kicked off the year as the most-anticipated launch in the company’s 41-year history, empowering organizations and their employees to work their way, work smarter, and work in a modern cloud leveraging the powerful Kronos D5 Platform.
- Workforce Dimensions technology partners – including Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, and SAP – are increasingly leveraging the Kronos D5 platform to build engaging applications, integrations, and product extensions.
- Workforce Ready, which launched in France as its ninth international market, released a reimagined mobile experience while introducing Workforce Ready People Analytics and several powerful HR- and payroll-focused enhancements, including Employee Perspectives, Succession Planning, Position Management, and predictive scheduling compliance.
- Kronos Workforce Ready was recognized for rapid growth, product innovation, and dedication to customer success in the NelsonHall 2018 Next Generation HCM Technology Report.
- Two new releases of Kronos Workforce Central 8 brought an array of enhancements, including scheduling advancements, HR reporting tools, customizable dashboards, and employee self-service features, as well as tools that help mitigate compliance risk of complex international labor laws. Kronos also announced enhanced integration with longtime cloud partner SAP SuccessFactors to further simplify complex and challenging global HCM requirements for multinational organizations.
- The award-winning global Professional Services team continues to provide innovative solutions to help customers across all verticals achieve value-based business outcomes while Kronos was recognized for leadership in customer success for the 18th consecutive year by the Customer Relationship Management Institute.
Employee Engagement, Passion, and Innovation Drives Kronos Growth Worldwide
Led by the vision of CEO Aron Ain – a three-time winner of Glassdoor’s Top CEOs honor and author of WorkInspired: How to Build an Organization Where Everyone Loves to Work– Kronos has grown to 5,600 Kronites worldwide while continuing to secure top workplace honors around the globe.
- Fortune magazine and Great Place to Work® honored Kronos several times in Fiscal 2018, including naming the company a Best Workplace for Millennials, one of the 15 Best Workplaces in Technology, a Best Workplace for Giving Back for the third year, and, their ultimate honor, a FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® winner.
- Kronos was named a Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Top 100 Best Place to Work for the first time.
- Forbes magazine named Kronos one of the top three places to work in software.
- Early in the year, Kronos celebrated its 40th anniversary by opening its new global headquarters in Massachusetts, where the company was honored for its significant contributions to the state’s economic growth and again named a Top Place to Work by The Boston Globe and Boston Business Journal.
- In Indianapolis, where Kronos has had a significant presence since 2012, the company was named a top 10 Best Place to Work.
- For the third consecutive year, Kronos landed in the top 20 of the Best Places to Work in Australia.
- In Canada, Kronos was named a Best Workplace for Women, a Best Workplace in Technology, one of the 25 Best Workplaces for Inclusion, and one of Montreal’s Top Employers.
- Kronos was named the 14th Best Multinational Workplace in all of Asia and a Best Place to Work in Greater China for the first time.
- Kronos made the countrywide list of India’s Best Workplaces across all industries while also making Great Place to Work India’s 50 Best Information Technology Companies list for the third year.
- In the first year submitting for the honor, Kronos was recognized as one of the K.’s Best Workplaces.
Fourth Quarter Customer Success Around the Globe
In the fourth quarter of Fiscal 2018, Kronos signed agreements with organizations around the world, including: 7-Eleven Stores, a retailer with nearly 2,000 convenience stores across mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau; Accolade Wines, the number one wine company in the U.K. by volume, producing some of the world’s best-known brands; Anderson Hospital, an independent, non-profit hospital serving patients throughout Madison County, Illinois; Advanced Plastics Ltd., a supplier of technical injection moulded products located in the U.K.; Belmont Village, a leading developer, owner, and operator of premier senior living communities in the U.S.; Federated Co-operatives Limited (FCL), a wholesaling, manufacturing, marketing, and administrative co-operative owned by more than 170 independent retail co-operative associations in Canada; Grupo Comercial Control, a Mexican retailer with more than 50 years of experience and locations in more than 50 cities across the country; Hamilton Health Care System, a non-profit, fully integrated system of care serving northwest Georgia; Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, the first wing of government in Greater China; Hy-Vee, an employee-owned chain of more than 245 supermarkets located throughout the Midwestern U.S.; Lakeland, a British kitchenware retail chain; Nevada Department of Corrections, the state agency that houses 14,000 felons in 18 facilities across the state; Sheetz, a family-owned chain of 500+ convenience stores located in several U.S. states; Telenomics, one of the largest O2 mobile network operator franchise partners in the U.K.; Watco Companies, a Kansas-based company providing transportation, terminal and port, supply chain, and mechanical solutions for customers across North America and Australia; Waterside Holiday Group, a premium holiday park operator on the south coast of the U.K.; and Ziemann Sicherheit, a provider of case security services in Germany.
- This announcement was made ahead of KronosWorks, the world’s largest workforce information exchange. KronosWorks is taking place this week in Las Vegas. See live updates and join the conversation by using #KronosWorks across all social media channels.
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Take a look at the lighter side of the workforce in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
- Subscribe to follow The Workforce Institute at Kronos for insight, research, blogs, and podcasts on how organizations can manage today’s modern workforce to drive engagement and performance.
- Learn about the Kronos WorkInspired culture and check out Kronos job openings.
- Visit the Kronos Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) page to learn how we strive to be great people every day.
- Wondering how to engage your workforce? Putting people first isn’t just good for employees – it’s good for business. Kronos CEO Aron Ain shares how we did in his book, WorkInspired: How to Build an Organization Where Everyone Loves to Work.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is a leading provider of workforce management and human capital management cloud solutions. Kronos industry-centric workforce applications are purpose-built for businesses, healthcare providers, educational institutions, and government agencies of all sizes. Tens of thousands of organizations — including half of the Fortune 1000® — and more than 40 million people in over 100 countries use Kronos every day. Visit www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works.
© 2018 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks and Workforce Innovation That Works is a registered trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. See a complete list of Kronos trademarks. All other trademarks, if any, are property of their respective owners.
Footnote 1: All financial information within this press release is presented using non-GAAP financial measures. Kronos believes that non-GAAP measures of financial results provide useful information regarding certain financial and business trends relating to Kronos’ results of operations. Non-GAAP revenue consists of GAAP revenue excluding the effect of the write-down of deferred revenue associated with purchase accounting for certain acquisitions and includes timing adjustments related to international product deliveries which management includes when evaluating operating results. EBITDA consists of GAAP income from operations excluding: (1) share-based compensation expense for stock options and stock awards in accordance with ASC 718 and compensation expenses related to ordinary dividends; (2) depreciation of property, plant, and equipment; (3) amortization of intangible assets; (4) acquisition-related deferred revenue write-downs and expenses including advisory, legal, accounting, acquired employee-related costs, and integration costs; and (5) unusual costs or one-time expenses that are excluded from the definition of EBITDA under the terms of the company’s Credit Agreement.