Kronos Survey Shows Consumers Expect Seamless Omni-Channel Experience This Holiday Season
CHELMSFORD, Mass., Nov. 5, 2013 — A new survey, titled "Holiday 2013: Top Trends to Watch" commissioned by Kronos Incorporated and conducted online by Harris Interactive, reveals that it will take an average of 2.2 negative experiences for Americans to stop purchasing from a retail brand — across any channel. Underscoring the urgency of a seamless omni-channel experience, more than two-thirds of Americans (68 percent) agree that a negative shopping experience within a single channel negatively impacts their perception across all shopping channels including physical stores, online, mobile, phone centers, and catalog.
- The "Holiday 2013: Top Trends to Watch" survey findings add to the growing industry evidence that shoppers will make purchasing decisions leveraging multiple channels this season. In fact, 66 percent of Americans said that they will order online and ship to home or offices – and 25 percent noted that they will order online and pick up at stores.
- The new survey also shows that a key target demographic for retailers — millennials1 — are especially influenced by negative experiences. 78 percent of men and 80 percent of women representing this demographic are likely to completely stop shopping at a retailer as a result of a negative shopping experience across any channel.
- Regarding factors that contribute to positive shopping experiences across all channels, the top three as identified by American consumers as being at least somewhat important are: inventory availability (98 percent); speed of delivery and pick up (96 percent); and sales associate interaction (90 percent).
- Interestingly, 79 percent of Americans who shop in stores believe that interaction with knowledgeable, friendly sales associates while shopping, picking up an online order, or even returning an item, are at least somewhat likely to make them purchase an additional item, beyond their original intended reason for going to the store.
- Liz Moughan, director, retail and hospitality practice group, Kronos
"The margin of error when it comes to customer satisfaction and brand loyalty is continually shrinking and the new survey puts some hard numbers around this disposition in retail. The combination of the government shutdown, a millennial population to appease, and the need to get a handle on omni-channel could make this holiday season a difficult one for many retailers. Fortunately, many have embraced the power of omni-channel and are well positioned to capture the wallets of consumers not just during the holiday season, but keep shoppers loyal to their brand well into the future."
This survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Interactive on behalf of Kronos from Sept. 26-30, 2013 among 2,003 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact email@example.com.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
1For the purposes of this study, "Millennials" are defined as U.S. adults age 18–34.
©2013 Kronos Incorporated. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks and KronosWorks and Workforce Innovation That Works are trademarks of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.