Kronos® and CIRCADIAN® Offer Fatigue Management Tool to Airlines
CHELMSFORD, Mass. and MONTREAL, Oct. 27, 2010 — Kronos® Incorporated today announced that the Kronos AD OPT division has formed a relationship with CIRCADIAN® which allows Kronos to offer a state-of-the-art fatigue and alertness module fully integrated with its market-leading airline crew planning, management, and optimization solutions.
- The airline industry is undergoing a fundamental shift in the way it applies work limits and rest requirements. Until now, those were defined using prescriptive rules based on the industry's Flight Time Limitations (FTL), which are requirements that determine the maximum permissible duty periods, flight duty periods, and minimum rest periods for crew members. The industry is now moving toward fatigue risk management-based regulations, which prevent fatigue risks by using physiological models rather than defining hard limits on work and rest.
- The governing agencies that establish prescriptive rules for airlines are now allowing FTL exemptions based on fatigue risk management systems. Agencies that have already permitted this type of exemptions include the Australia Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), and the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority (NZ-CAA).
- The need for fatigue risk management systems also accelerated in the U.S. with President Obama signing the H.R. 5900, the Airline Safety and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Extension Act into law on August 1, 2010. This mandates all commercial air carriers to develop a FAA-acceptable Fatigue Risk Management Plan by October 31, 2010.
- Kronos creates automated, optimized schedules for cabin and cockpit crewmembers, taking into consideration the organization’s operational objectives. A seamless integration with CIRCADIAN's scientifically validated alertness simulator tool will enable Kronos to send the schedules to CIRCADIAN for fatigue risk evaluation in real-time.
- CIRCADIAN's Alertness Simulator will conduct root cause analysis and investigation of fatigue. The end-user will be able to view the data displayed on the Kronos application without having to switch systems. This will enable crew planners to determine acceptable levels of the crew's fatigue and develop schedules that will further enhance the safety of passengers.
- Dr. Martin Moore-Ede, chief executive officer, CIRCADIAN
"By teaming with Kronos AD OPT, we can provide airlines with a world-class fatigue risk management solution: one that is seamlessly integrated with Kronos' crew scheduling software and that meets the new regulatory requirements."
- Thomas Ivaskiv, vice president and general manager, AD OPT division, Kronos
"We are pleased to integrate our crew management software with CIRCADIAN's fatigue risk management system to minimize compliance risk for our airline customers. This relationship is very timely, considering the new regulatory requirements in the airline industry."
CIRCADIAN® is the pioneer and leading research, consulting and technology firm in the field of shiftwork, crew scheduling and fatigue risk management systems. Supported by over 25 years of research and field application experience, CIRCADIAN has become the only full service provider of 24/7 fatigue risk management products and services. Working from offices in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia, CIRCADIAN experts ensure that over half the Fortune 500, and other leading international companies, improve their safety and competitiveness in the global 24/7 economy. To learn more visit www.circadian.com.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in workforce management solutions that enable organizations to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Tens of thousands of organizations in 60 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications. To learn how Kronos uniquely delivers complete automation and high-quality information in an easy-to-use solution, visit www.kronos.com.
© 2010 Kronos Incorporated. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.