Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital Saves Costs with Kronos
BALTIMORE, Oct. 4, 2011 — Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, a 227-bed, not-for-profit community hospital, standardized workforce management solutions from Kronos Incorporated to reduce staffing-related costs. Kronos® is enabling the hospital to achieve this by aligning labor to patient needs across all departments.
- Henry Mayo, a long-time, enterprise-wide user of the Kronos time and attendance and HR and payroll solutions, recently standardized on the Kronos employee scheduling solution across all departments to further control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity.
- Increasingly, hospitals have to account for nurse aid sitters to be by the bedside of patients to improve safety. Prior to Kronos, Henry Mayo was unable to account for sitter-related labor expenses and the cost was not budgeted. As a result of individualized Kronos reports, the hospital learned that it has been spending $1 million per year on sitter costs, which include expenses for utilizing sitters from agencies.
- With real-time visibility and advanced sitter reporting through Kronos, the hospital has saved unnecessary agency- and registry-related expenses, as it now aligns its staff to sitter demand more effectively as well as budgets for additional full-time employees as needed. Henry Mayo previously spent $100,000-150,000 per month on registry use. With Kronos, the cost of sitters has been reduced by 61 percent and the overall registry use has been reduced by 66 percent.
- Also, Henry Mayo is empowered with accurate labor and payroll information and can manage the agencies directly without paying a third-party vendor management company. Agencies now get paid accurately and promptly, usually within two weeks, instead of four to five months.
- Additionally, Kronos has reduced administrative time required to create schedules and manage invoices by 85 percent. As skills and certifications and availability information are up-to-date and readily available in the Kronos system, managers are now able to float staff easily across units to better serve patients and support quality care initiatives.
- Sonya Carroll, director of nursing administration,Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital
"The most interesting aspect of the Kronos scheduling solution is that it can do so much more than just create schedules. The sitter and registry Kronos reports make a difference on our bottom line. Kronos provides critical labor information in a timely manner, which empowers management to make informed decisions that can ultimately save both time and money. It is an excellent tool to assist managers with their budgets."
- Brian Graves, global practice leader of healthcare, Kronos
"Henry Mayo is a great example of a hospital standardizing staffing and scheduling solutions beyond the nursing department to truly optimize benefits for the entire organization. In the face of reforms and rising labor costs, effective workforce management across the organization is critical to achieve quality care delivery as well as labor cost control."
- Kronos made this announcement from the ANCC National Magnet Conference being in held in Baltimore from Oct. 4-6. Kronos is exhibiting in booth # 509.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in workforce management solutions that enable organizations to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Tens of thousands of organizations in 60 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications. To learn how Kronos uniquely delivers complete automation and high-quality information in an easy-to-use solution, visit www.kronos.com.
© 2011 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos is a registered trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.