City of Greensboro Selects Kronos to Save Time and Money and Minimize Compliance Risk
CHELMSFORD, Mass., Aug. 16, 2011 — The City of Greensboro, the third-largest city in North Carolina, has selected a comprehensive workforce management solution from Kronos Incorporated to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity.
- The City of Greensboro selected the Kronos® time and attendance solution, which will be used in conjunction with the TeleStaff™ solution from Kronos that is already implemented in the city's public safety departments. The Kronos time and attendance solution was selected because the city needed to standardize and automate processes to control overpayments of leave and misinterpretations of policies.
- Kronos was also selected as it offered the city a rent-to-own purchasing option, which minimized up-front costs with fixed monthly payments. This option provided a mechanism to fund the project costs over a four-year period, while reaping the benefits of the system in less than a year. The City of Greensboro also selected Kronos’ cloud services offering, which will allow it to outsource maintenance of the IT infrastructure to Kronos to ensure that the application is current and performing at an optimal level.
- One of the major issues that City of Greensboro was looking to resolve was that some departments were at risk of non-compliance with regulations put forth by the U.S. Department of Labor. The city will use Kronos to eliminate manual workforce management processes to reduce errors and minimize compliance risk. In the manual system, delays in leave request slips could be significant. With Kronos, critical labor information will be available within 72 hours for management to review for more effective decision-making.
- Using Kronos, the City of Greensboro will also experience more control in payroll processing. Kronos will capture the actual work hours weekly while retaining the advantages of a semi-monthly pay cycle.
- The Kronos TeleStaff public safety scheduling solution is already being used in the City of Greensboro’s police, Guilford Metro 911, and fire departments to meet unique public safety requirements such as vacation and shift bidding, event scheduling, and scheduling to a resource. Kronos offers easy integration between the Kronos solutions operating across departments and the city’s ERP solution, enabling easy import and export of workforce data.
- With Kronos, the City of Greensboro employees will have multiple user interface options available based on their work location and responsibility in the organization. Users at various locations will have the option to login via smart phone devices, computers, or swipe card units with biometric verification devices.
- Chryste Hofer, deputy chief information officer, City of Greensboro
"In the face of budget constraints and the perceived lack of public confidence in the way government employees are managed, we are excited to have Kronos to enhance accountability. We are also certain that the solution will yield significant cost savings. Kronos offers the most comprehensive workforce management system for government entities and we’re excited to achieve all its benefits."
- Christine Carmichael, director, public sector practice group, Kronos
"City of Greensboro is an example of a forward-thinking city government that is focused on offering high-quality services while achieving operational efficiency. Never before has the ability to meet these goals been more critical for the public sector. We are pleased to help government leaders effectively manage their workforce and control labor costs, which are often up to 50 percent of total operating expenses. This will allow them to reinvest in services for citizens."
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in workforce management solutions that enable organizations to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Tens of thousands of organizations in 60 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics
applications. To learn how Kronos uniquely delivers complete automation and high-quality information in an easy-to-use solution, visit www.kronos.com.
© 2011 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos is a registered trademark and TeleStaff is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.